Saturday 9 August 2014

Canadian Railways....

Well, I've been into British trains for a long while...but over the last 6 months or so I have developed an interest in American and Canadian trains, specifically diesels.  Some dvds at my model railway club got me started, and of course now Youtube has been a great source of stuff.  I've now bought myself a nice potted history of the Canadian National railway by Tom Murray (see below)


And also a bunch of Dvds from greenfrog productions...I got all 4 of their volumes on the CN (including its operations in the states) and another one they sell courtesy of CanRail on branchlines in Ontario in the 90s.  I highly recommend these dvds, they are very good, lots of interesting info about the operations and great footage of the trains themselves.

The livery of the CN was what really stood out to me at first, the orange and black (and at one time with "zebra" stripes) I thought were really nice.  I've since also read about VIA Rail Canada, Canadian Pacific and also the nice Go Transit commuter trains (the ones with the unusual looking bombardier cars):


(by the way, the VIA rail site has some interesting stuff; they have 360 degree photos of the interiors of their different passenger cars.)


Anyways, this new interest in these railways then got me buying HO versions, starting off with a walthers trainline CN gp9rm and a bachmann CN gp38-2 from ebay.  The gp38-2 is currently being detailed, since there are A LOT of differences between a standard unit and the versions used by CN (not counting the widecab variants).  Of course bachmann just used one tooling across them all, but I can't really complain as they are pretty cheap.

 The gp9rm is to be an even bigger detailing project, as the body on the trainline version is....well...not very good.  I'll probably get a proto 2k or bachmann gp9 body and then a kaslo shops chop nose cab and do some serious cutting and glueing to make an accurate model.






Also now got a Pennsylvania Railroad Sd45.  Was wanting to maybe do this in Wisconsin Central livery for the club layout.  Bit scared to repaint it though...it does look nice though.  It can always sit on display if it doesnt get resprayed.



Also have a sw1200 in CP Rail (old "system") livery by Proto 2K.  Very nice also.


Aaaand.....a bachmann CP sd40-2...




My brother and I are now planning a layout in our attic based around the automobile industry, possibly set in Detroit. However there are automobile factories in Canada as well (such as in Oshawa) so we may have the layout set there; this would make sense as then we're not just limited to CN, we can run CP as well (though Detroit does allow for a fair bit of BNSF).

I've now bought a couple of tri-level auto carrier cars, and also a Walthers auto assembly plant kit.  I've built the front so far.  Some of the window pieces are missing (which is worrying!)  I'm debating wether to call Walthers or else just to make some out of plastic strip.







So anyways, thats my first entry into Canadian/American trains and any progress on modelling projects or even just links to interesting vids of rail action I will post on this "blog" thing.  Thanks to Alan Aitken for the suggestion of starting this!


2 comments:

  1. Well done on your first piece, i always found it the hardest to do. You can some very nice stock there, I will be good to see how the layout progress, and what train plan you use. Well done mate Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, I guess i'll just post whenever I've made a major development with the project. Aswell as progress on kits and layout and such I'll probably also put up stuff about ciruits/microcontroller projects as there are a bunch that will tie in with the layout for controlling servos and lighting etc. :)

      Rory

      Delete